A Month of Lego - Lego Ideas & 21309 Saturn V

To date, 31 sets have been released in the Ideas (formerly CUUSO) series. The beauty of all of these sets is that they were designed by AFOLs. The ideas.lego.com website is the place to submit ideas with the hopes of having your design published. In order to be published, you must receive 10,000 public votes and then pass a review by the Lego Group. If you succeed though, you get a 1% royalty on net sales. Not too shabby.

Personally, I own several of the Ideas series, but I’ve only built one of them (don’t ask, I have a lot of Lego still in new boxes) - The NASA Apollo 11 Saturn V rocket. Fan designed by Felix Steissen and Valerie Roche, it’s an impressive build with 1969 pieces - yes this is the same number of pieces as the year it was launched. When completed the rocket stands over 39" in height and separates into the various stages (in case you wanted to play with it). The CSM (Command Service Module) and Lunar modules all ride inside the rocket and can be either displayed within the entire rocket or split out and used separately. This set includes 3 microfigure astronauts as well. Overall, I’m impressed by the size, scale, stability and details of this build.

Saturn V box

As for mine, it is hanging on the wall. Found some mounts on Thingiverse. Also, a little tidbit while researching this. It sounds like they intend to re-release this (along with the ship in the bottle). We’ll see how much they change the sets and whether it is worth picking them up as well.

Wall Mount

On a personal note, I blew out my back (no one to blame but me), so not spending too much time in front of the keyboard today.