Personal info on 200 million Americans left available to the public

The security hole was left by a Republican-connected consulting firm.

It is not known known whether anyone “nefarious” (i.e. other than “white hat security researchers”) accessed the data. The white hats promptly notified the company. This particular hole was closed. No idea if there are others.

How many firms have this sort of data? 10’s of thousands? 100’s of thousands? How many of these firms have excellent security practices? Or what % of firms?

How many of these firms have purposes and practices that are inherently abusive or offensive, or disturbing? Do we trust them at all? What percentage do we trust? None?

How many are, in their intentions and actions, purer than Caesar’s wife? (Answer: zero)

Just me: I do not consider this to be an issue where it makes sense to take pro- or anti- Republican or Democrat or Independent or “whatever else” partisan positions. Or at least, not unless or until some serious and powerful political movement starts up about the abuses of commercial and government access to and use of and re-sale of personal data.

In the meantime, the organized parties do not seem to have this even on their radars, except that they wish to avoid political embarrassments.

A Republican voter data firm likely exposed your personal information for days — and you don’t have much recourse

Google amp link to the LA Times article:

https://www.google.com/amp/www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-pol-gop-data-breach-20170619-story,amp.html