Goat Day 9: $10,000 Watches for All

BillLehecka went on a bit of a rant said

Hi kids. I'm feeling much better today. Still have a bit of a cough, but I don't feel like death warmed over. Let's switch things up a bit...

THE FEED BAG

Thanks for the well wishes. It was nice that people actually care how a goat feels. And I had no idea @Matthew would have Glen talk about Sick Days in today's Meh video. So that's kind of a cool coincidence.

Now, on to today's topic.

THE APPLE WATCH, OR "WHY?"

Apple had their special event today to introduce the new Apple Watch, plus showed some updates to their other things... And then brought out Christy Turlington Burns for some reason.

The good? Well, Apple TV is now down to $69! Sweet, right? Well, you'll need to pony that up if you want to to get HBO Now, which costs $14.95 a month and only exists on the Apple TV. But hey, no more cable, right? You know what would've been cool? A NEW AppleTV. How old is that sucker? I think it has guts from an iPad 2 in it.

The new MacBook was also introduced.... Which didn't replace the MacBook Air. It also removed a shit-ton of ports, and now all you have is a USB-C port. So yeah, good luck keeping a whole cadre of dongles on your person. Of course Apple did this because they want to push wireless file transfer and stuff, but please.

They also introduced something called a "Force Touchpad".... So get ready for a ton of Darth Vader Trackpad memes. I'm just here to warn you.

And then we get to the creme de la creme.... The Apple Watch. Yeah, it looks kinda cool...And hey, it helps Christy Turlington Burns run half marathons in Africa! Yeah! But then the price...

$349/$399 for the Sport Models... OK. Steep, but not exactly out of the realm of possibility.... I don't like the bands, so maybe the other version will be more in line with this price.

$549-$1099 for the regular versions... I'll get to that in a second.

And the one that kicks you in the naughty parts hard: The Apple Watch Edition.... Starting at... STARTING AT... $10,000. That's like two Yugos... Or what you pay in a leased vehicle. $10,000. Yeah. Do you at least get into some sort of club with that? Who spends that much money on a fucking watch? AND IT'S NOT REALLY A WATCH! It's just a computer on your wrist that displays the time.

But honestly, who are they marketing the $10K Apple Watch to? Celebrities? Yeah, wear that and further push yourself away from the common folk. Rich Kids? Nice, now you have a target on your wrist for watch thieves. Warren Buffet? He already has a Rolex, most likely.

But that's a fun complaint... How about the middle of the line watches going for $549 to over a grand??? Why would you buy this? YOU HAVE A SMARTPHONE ALREADY.

Watches diminished in popularity because of the phone. You basically are carrying around a pocket watch when you have a phone, so the need for a watch becomes more of a fashion statement. The watch was dead. So why is Apple betting that people will want to wear watches again? Because of Fitbits? Samsung Smart Watches? These things cause rashes and you know that person who always has to fiddle with their watch band because it's too loose. At least FitBits are thin and don't seem as cumbersome as a silly Apple Watch.

If I were you, I wouldn't buy this. This is a first generation product that's trying to force fashion changes onto you. It's overpriced, even for people who use Apple Products as fashion statements to begin with, and quite frankly, it's too fat and clunky.

It was the biggest head scratching moment I've ever had at an Apple event. I guess they're allowed to do stupid things... They have $175 billion in cash reserves sitting in a room somewhere, where I don't doubt Tim Cook swims in a la Scrooge McDuck. I suspect that pool of money may become a bit shallower.

TODAY'S PRODUCT

I bought a router! Still available, so you can't blame me yet. I've used Netgear Routers for years. I've never had a problem with them. And yes, while this is a refurbished model, one of the cool things you can do is you these to create wireless repeaters in your own home. This is really cool when your WiFi doesn't reach your entire house.

TODAY'S QUESTION

What fad product or service did you buy that you regretted? It doesn't have to be instant regret, but it could be something you look back on years later and go "Why did I buy that?" For me, it was an HD-DVD Add On Player for the XBox 360. There's nothing better than purchasing an electronics accessory that's outdated within 2 years.

Until tomorrow.... BLEAT!!!!!