A Month of Lego - Automatic Binding Bricks and 10184 - Town Plan

Lego wasn’t always a toy manufacturer. Started by Ole Kirk Kristiansen in Bilund Denmark the company produced buildings, furniture, ladders, Christmas tree stands, and many other wooden products. In 1934, however, Ole changed the name to Lego and focused on toy production. The name was a play on the Danish words Leg Godt, which means Play Well. At this time, toy production was the focus, but things were still made of wood.

In 1947 however, the company received their first plastic injection molding machine and in 1949 releases the Automatic Binding Bricks set which includes bricks and base plates. Even though sold in Europe, the name was written in English as an homage to the Allied forces that helped to liberate Europe during World War 2.

Automatic Binding Bricks Binding Brick

In the mid 1950s, complaints about the Automatic Binding Bricks not staying together lead to the invention of studs and tubes in the design to create what is known as clutch power. If you have ever played with Lego, you know what clutch power is - you have felt it. It is what keeps the bricks connected and has to do with the design and the tight tolerances that the company employs. I felt it when I was six and I was ‘flying’ my first Galaxy Explorer upside down and it held together. Officially patented and released in 1958, the stud and tube principle becomes the foundation for every Lego element.

Patent

One thing I find truly amazing is that in over 60 years, the fundamental design of the bricks hasn’t changed and a brick from the 50’s will play equally well for your children today. And in 2008, to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the modern day Lego brick, the company released set 10184 - Town Plan. I personally don’t own this set, but thought it was a neat example of just how the company thinks and operates. They celebrate. They remember their heritage. They are willing to change and adapt. They are a family and aren’t afraid to be a ‘family’ to many others. (I mentioned I was an AFOL - right?)

Town Plan 10184

The Town Plan 50th anniversary set is a modernized version of their first set (which was mentioned yesterday). Released in 2008, it is comprised of 1949 parts. The set contains three main buildings - a service station, cinema, and the city hall. It also includes a fountain square (complete with metallic gold brick statue), a gas pump island, 2 vehicles - a red gas truck and a blue car and 8 minifigures - including a bride and groom (pictured coming out of city hall). While the 2x2 metallic gold brick was an exclusive to this set, it has appeared in a few others since then (and in mass quantity in the 2011 holiday bauble with gold bricks). Overall, looks like a fun set.

bauble

Until tomorrow, Play Well (or Meh) my friends!