Depends on the task for me. Some kinds of concentration benefit from a little music, others suffer, and some are neutral. Film scores are definitely among my favorite concentration pieces, though, and Guthrie Govan is my go-to for busy work or cooking (if I’m not doing an audiobook).
At my desk at home I can listen to what I want, when I want. I favor Bach, for example the Six Suites for Cello or other works, other classical and jazz including Sonny Rollins, Sidney Bechet and others. Also some popular, but I have trouble working with songs with words. Lots of stuff!
I like having it on at work. when I remember to do it. Sometimes i forget. Or turn it down for meetings and forget to turn it back up. Then realize it’s quiet an hour later. I use it like the radio in the car. With online radio.
Ive almost never bought music. Cause it’s just not that important to me. And I’m fine with radio. As long as there is no annoying ass DJ running any kind of “show”.
Can’t imagine needing a reason to have earphones or deal with music on my phone but I’m weird so.
I can usually handle it if its someone else’s choosing, unless its very, very faint. I would rather it be bad music I dislike at a normal volume then my brain periodically sensing “do I hear something?”
If its of my choosing, I would prefer classical, even though that isn’t what I normally listen to when not working. It breaks up the silence without being distracting.
I work from home. Most days I turn the radio on first thing in the morning and it stays on all day. Usually the (ad-free) classical station, sometimes the (ad-free) jazz station or the “adult album alternative” station.
i said i hate it but could deal with it but i suppose it depends on the music and the volume of aforementioned music, and what it is i’m doing. i love music which is why i just find it really distracting when i’m trying to get something done. i like to listen to music when i’m driving, or sometimes cooking/doing dishes, or of course at a party or a bar/club (and while getting ready for such an occasion - in The Before Times).
if i’m doing design work in an office setting, i prefer to hear only Office Sounds, but at home i might have on tv, twitch, or npr. (but still often, silence - which is a relative term when you live in a densely packed city with neighbors who can’t go a day without doing something loud in the yard.) i have one channel on twitch, turtles and chill, it’s just one person’s aquarium from different angles and they play “chill” music most of the time and i put that on occasionally. otherwise if it’s twitch it’s usually an FPS - don’t ask me why i find the sounds of video game gunfire and explosions soothing when i’m so sensitive to sounds, i can’t explain it.
i cleaned houses for awhile - in those instances i liked listening to podcasts since i didn’t need my brain for concentration/focus and could use it for something else.
If I’m at work and a particular colleague is talking I’ll play pink noise or a box fan loop loud enough to blunt the edges of her interminable silliness and irritating voice. Just sounds like my computer is working hard.
I don’t dislike music while working, but honestly I can’t do 98% of my job while listening to music.
I enjoy the 2% of the time where I’m doing something simple and/or repetitive and I can listen to music, but I have anything I actually enjoy on if I want to really concentrate, and that’s the other 98% of my job.
I regularly listen to Brownian noise if I need to drown out hallway conversations.
I almost always have something on when I’m working: music or a podcast. If I’m writing, I can’t have a podcast on, so I’ll switch to music for that, but specifically it has to be music that I’ve heard a million times before so I don’t have to use the part of my brain that tries to process lyrics.
During college I discovered that I could have just about any music playing when I was working on math-related work: calculus, physics, thermodynamics, engineering. If I needed to write an essay, draft a report, read a critique, then strictly classical music or silence.
Pretty much the same 30 years later. I suspect it’s a left vs. right brain thing for me.