@PooltoyWolf Fire investigator said it seemed to have started from wiring in wall behind upright freezer in pantry. Circuit breakers tripped, but apparently not in time. That wall was adjacent to breakfast nook and kitchen where devastation was pretty total. We definitely lost freezer in pantry; refrigerator/freezer, television and CD/DVD player, large stack of collections of our favorite music (probably $500 purchases right there), 2 microwave ovens, Wolfgang puck pressure oven, small and large blenders, counter-top range, vented hood, built-in oven, nice wooden table and chairs, all in kitchen area, all plastic and metal melted now. Some of it was Meh before, all is meh now. Don’t know state of washer and dryer in laundry area next to pantry – no electricity or water in there to test, but they are quite scorched. Fire damage extended to dining room next to kitchen. Heat and smoke damage through rest of 4 bedroom 2 bath house. Appliances can be replaced. Rest of house? Not so sure. And of course, insurance had lapsed because I hadn’t taken care of some issues with garage exterior and door. Lack of time and money, since caring for my wife. I had been worried about my roof every time a severe storm had been forecast. Never dreamed a fire would break out inside. Expensive lesson LEARNED. Freezer was probably over 20 years old and had never given a hint of trouble.
And also had many cases of Casemates wine stored to side in dining room. Cardboard boxes still intact, but don’t know what the heat would have done to the wine. Has not been a priority when I’ve been inside. Still cannot tolerate noxious fumes still airing out after three weeks, when I’ve been inside to look for something I needed immediately.
Only me at home at time. Very minor burn to hand.
Dog in back yard OK. Life goes on; at least to some extent. Many people in far worse need.
@phendrick Yeah, that is unfortunately a much slower process that only time can fix.
Running an ozone generator would do wonders in ridding of the smells, though. You do NOT want to be in the area while it’s running, though, as ozone is a component of smog and can cause respiratory ailments.
@narfcake Thanks for info on 03 generator; I will check it out. They seem affordable after a quick look at Ammy. Do you know if they also remove soot, as well as smell?
Stuff I’ve salvaged as usable is covered with soot and smells like a well-smoked brisket. I’ve gotten it off with dishwashing liquid, rubbing, and scraping – a lot of work each time.
@phendrick That really sucks. ;-; Perhaps some of the stuff can be saved with a good cleaning? I’m wondering if there was a faulty section of wiring in the wall that ultimately gave up after seeing a bit too much current from the freezer’s compressor.