2021 Unofficial Holiday Mehrican Exchange
All right folks! We’ve gone a whole year without abusing the postal system for fun and whatever the opposite of profit is. And they’re not at all busy this time of year. After a little bit of talking, it looks like there is interest in having an exchange.
A great thank you and shouts of praise and adorations to previous exchange leaders, @studerc, @kidsandliz, and @djslack who all did a whole lot of work to collect everyone’s info, match people up, and herded all the cats.
This year, I taken the torch with help from my lovely assistant @sillyheathen
Like last year, we’ll be using a site called Elfster to handle all the address collecting and people matching instead of someone doing all that stuff by hand. This means that you’ll have to be sure to put your address in your profile at Elfster, and the site will provide you with your match’s information. As the organizers, we can see the addresses of participants, but I pinkie promise not to do anything with that information unrelated to the exchange, save it on my phone, or divulge it to anyone else. You’ll just have to trust me.
It also means that I don’t think there is an easy way to do multiple boxes, or to sign up to send without receiving. We’ll handle the heroes outside of elfster.
When you sign up, if you put your actual name, that’s what will show up. If you prefer, use your Meh username as both the name and nickname. You can put your real name in one of the address lines if you are afraid you won’t get your mail with your nickname. If you sign up with only your real name, please check your messages on elfster as we will be asking you who you are.
Also, Elfster does send quite a few emails throughout the process of an exchange. Messages, questions, and your matches will all send you emails. Some people didn’t get them last time because of spam filters. If you’re not seeing them, check your junk mail and make sure you do receive them (or check the exchange page there regularly).
This exchange isn’t limited to what you got in your IRKs. Feel free to include your own junk. Most people send a medium flat rate box, but the choice is yours. I’ve found Priority Mail regional boxes to be a little cheaper, and shipping with Pirateship.com is easy, free, and cheaper than going to the post office. USPS will ship you boxes for free as well if you are using their shipping services (even through a site like pirateship or stamps.com).
Here are the rules, such as they are. Please follow these guidelines to the best of your ability:
- Exchange participants must be an active participant of the forums. You don’t have to be a chatty Cathy but at least have shared the great IRKs you have received, lamented that you have never gotten an IRK, or whined that you got stopped by the Cptch.
- Junk doesn’t mean trash. Please don’t send broken stuff or literal garbage.
- Food is probably a bad idea. I know some sent homemade treats last year so if you want to do that, ask anonymously through Elfster if it would be welcomed and ask if there are any dietary restrictions.
- Remember to share the treasures you receive in the reveal thread. This is a big part of the fun, and if you get gifts and ghost it is hurtful.
- There is a wishlist function in Elfster. Are you missing a particular IRK bag color? Here’s the place to share it! Feel free to use it or not. Your sender may also be stalking your forum post to figure out which bits of junk you would appreciate the most. There’s also a function to ask questions of your recipient on the Elfster site.
- If you do get asked questions, please try to respond promptly.
- Everyone has their own situation. The exchange is about fun, not monetary value. I did put $5 as it wanted a price and that’s the price of an IRK. Do practice the golden rule and consider whether you would like to receive what you’re sending out.
- If you’re on the naughty list from previous exchanges, you will be removed from this exchange. No exceptions because being a ghost sucks.
- Your personal information is handled by Elfster, not me. The site will conduct the draw to match people and communicate your recipient to you the day after the RSVP deadline. Be sure to put your mailing address in your profile here (click your initial in the top right).
- Safety first. No bodily fluids. If you’ve been exposed to COVID-19, maybe sit this one out in the name of keeping your fellow Mehtizens safe.
- Have Fun! That’s what this is all about.
Sign up at the link below to participate. RSVP by 11/29. Names will be drawn and sent out by 12/1 and send your packages to arrive no later than 12/20. We look forward to exchanging crap with you!
Signup link: https://www.elfster.com/gift-exchanges/8471a11f-875f-4ffe-ac5b-3861d69d76ab/?join=odq3
It’s time to spread some of the IRK love we’ve hopefully all gotten in 2021!
- 87 comments, 146 replies