2020 Dec. Goat Daily Rant 08

Daily Rant: Stolen Theme. Mehmory Lane.
Thanks for the theme, @Jaybird. Yoink!

In keeping with the season, this will be a Christmas mehmory, of an outstanding Christmas past.
This was our first Christmas in the new house. Gosh, I want to say it was 1981? I’ll fix that in post if it’s not right. Our parents (I have 3 siblings) told us they planned a big Christmas this year, and not to get used to it. I was a little afraid of how undersold future Christmases were, but this year was clearing going to be outstanding. For starters, we got a 16-foot-tall tree set up in the Living Room (two-story room with high ceilings). They piled gifts at the foot of the thing high, too, and we knew to expect “Santa” (well, we were old enough to know better by then) to bring more. He did, as I remember. Christmas eve, we took part in the tradition of opening one single gift each (does your family do that?).
Come Christmas morning, we found that Dad had put on a Santa hat and red thermal underwear (it was the only thing he had to wear that was red from head to toe) and jumped onto the Honda ATC (!) three-wheeler, a brand new toy for everybody. It had a trailer full of toys, too! We watched as he wound the long way up the driveway to the house. Once right out front, he jumped off and raced for the front door! Those jammies did nothing against the unseasonably cold weather (well, it was the season, but Florida… ungeographically cold?).
Funny thing is, I remember the ATC and Dad freezing in his jammies and that gigantic tree, but for the life of me, not one present under the tree.

This year we will have our first Christmas without him, and we all miss him terribly. We might even have to Zoom Christmas with Mom, instead of converging on that old house like we have every year since the start (with a couple exceptions for my deployment).

How many and how often do you guys get together for Christmas?