@somf69 My ENT recommends using ONLY distilled water in the humidifier. Any impurities have been removed from the water so it’s better for your sinuses. Of course, regular cleaning of the unit helps it run better, too!
@winfield Some of my reaction to this concept is personal (it can trigger migraines and difficulty breathing, but here are some general reasons to avoid diffusing essential oils into the air:
breathing any oils should be avoided as it can cause several medical issues (lipid pneumonia being the peak). I realize that activities such as cooking can disperse oil, but I don’t think we should add another.
@fibrs86@winfield Please save yourselves while you can!!! Don’t light any candles or matches, cook any food, burn incense, spray ANYTHING into the air with an aerosol, light your fireplace or turn on your furnace—terrible pollutants. Oh Yeah—don’t let anybody live with you—they have terrible germs, take your oxygen and emit CO2.
Thanks, great advice:
Candles - I don’t recommend them.
Matches - momentary use only
Cook food - make sure your kitchen is properly ventilated
Incense - not recommended
Aerosol - not recommended indoors
Fireplace - ensure your flue is properly maintained
Furnace - please, please make sure your furnace is working correctly. CO poisoning will kill you quicker than anything on this list.
Loved ones and co-inhabitates - encourage them to keep up on their vaccinations.
@cole103@winfield The framing to my response was quite obtuse (though I stand by the general information within). In the interest of being helpful to the community:
For most activities adults can evaluate the risks and act accordingly. However for essential oils I don’t believe that most people have much information about their risks, so they don’t take actions to mitigate them. The marketing text certainly doesn’t provide the relevant information.
Pro Tip: If you have a cat, don’t use essential oils in these. Most essential oils are toxic to cats as their liver can’t process them. These types of humidifying diffusers put microdroplets of the oil in the air and if they land on the cat’s fur, the cat could absorb them through their skin or lick them off when cleaning themselves.
If you buy one of these ultrasonic humidifiers be aware that you have to use distilled water or be prepared to do a LOT more dusting. The white dust from my tap water was enough to noticeably dim my TV in just a week—and then think about how much of that you are breathing in.
This humidifier was a mistake. It stopped working after only a short period (2-3 weeks) of being used in the evenings. Seems to be water corroding the area around the power source, so…fun on that. Anyhow, I’d go another direction if you are in the market.