January facies duos capra 01/02/20

I have yet to receive just received! my goat badge and accompanying scepter, but and so will continue on with these as I find the time. Yesterday’s topic of how one deals with January evolved into a (still-ongoing) discussion of biblical calendar keeping, so this will be a little more focused, I hope.

TL:DR Summary

• January dark, we still have a DVR
  • Here’s all the crap on it.
  • What do you plan to watch/read in the dark hours ahead?

January has a lot of in-house time, because it’s dark and wet and cold outside and the roads often freeze up and the mountain lions are hungry, so taking a cue from the squirrels and mice, we stash stuff on the DVR during the course of the year for viewing during these dark times. As I’ve bitched about explained before, our rural internet here at the ranch can be inconsistent, so getting the current cool streaming thing doesn’t work very reliably here.

So we rely on the DirecTV DVR for most of the content – I fell into some fortunate marketing niche by having the phones on AT&T so we get free (for now) HBO. Aside from the single-episode recordings we do (news programs, John Oliver, AXIOS, etc.), here’s what we’ve accumulated:

Recent and not-so-recent full season episodes of:
His Dark Materials (8), Bob’s Burgers (15), Supergirl (10), The Detour (42!), American Swamp (4), Happy! (19), Veep (8), Con Man (6), Sharp Objects (6), Top of the Lake: China Girl (3), Mars (7), The Righteous Gemstones (8, because John Goodman!), Ken Burns’ Country Music and The Vietnam War documentaries, Chernobyl (5), Mars (7)

Futurama – Episodes 9-16 of Season 6, the two “movies” that are split up into 4 episodes each because I’ve never seen them in proper sequence

Movies we haven’t seen yet:
Finding Dory, Bohemian Rhapsody, A Star is Born (the Lady Gaga one), Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, Blade Runner 2049, Dunkirk

Movies we’ve seen but would like to watch again:
Elf (for Christmas!), Die Hard (also for Christmas!) Apollo 13, The Fugitive, The Princess Bride (just because), Unforgiven, The Man Who Came to Dinner

And various one-offs to watch:
Ice on Fire, Mars: Making the New Earth, the last episode of last season’s The Magicians and Westworld, to watch before new ones begin.

In addition we’ve been streaming our way through back episodes of The Expanse before watching the new ones, and reading the original book series by two-headed author James S. A. Corey (thank you @DennisG2014 for recommending them!)

So what’s on your DVR/Stream list/Book Shelf to catch up on? If none of that floats your boat, it’s also National Science Fiction Day, National Buffet Day, and WORLD Introvert Day, so comment on those if you wish …